Faqs Home > Faqs

1. Do I need a passport to go to Costa Rica?

A valid passport is mandatory to enter Costa Rica. For Canadians it is accepted a passport with a minimum of one day of validity from the entry date to Costa Rica. The same validity period is required for citizens of other countries from the First or Second group (according to the Visa Directive). In the case of citizens from the Third and Fourth group, the minimum validity period required is six months.


2. Do I need a visa to go to Costa Rica?
Depending on your country of origin you may enter Costa Rica without a visa. Canadians do not need a visa to enter Costa Rica. For more information, visit the Visa section on this website.


3. Can I enter Costa Rica with a one way ticket?
All visitors must have an entry and exit ticket, whether it is by air or by land, as the case may be, as a requirement to enter the country.


4. Do I need an international driver´s license to drive in Costa Rica?
You are allowed to drive with your normal driver’s license for three months.


5. Can I get married in Costa Rica? What documents do I need?
Foreigners can get married in Costa Rica. The documents needed are: original birth certificate; certificate of civil status; police record; valid passport; divorce decree (if applicable).  These documents need to follow the legalization procedure at the Consulate before being taken to Costa Rica.


6. Are credit cards accepted in Costa Rica?
All major credit cards are widely accepted. You will find ATM machines distributed throughout the country.


7. What kind of inoculations do I have to take to Costa Rica?
Costa Rican authorities will demand that all travelers coming from the following countries have a yellow fever vaccination certificate:

Africa: Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Equatorial Guinea, Etiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Saint Tome and Principe, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Ruanda, República del Congo and Zambia. South and Central America: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela, Trinidad and Tobago, Guyana, Paraguay, Surinam and French Guyana.


8. What documents are required to enter with a pet to Costa Rica?
All pets traveling to Costa Rica must have an International Health Certificate for Dogs and Cats, issued by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. You should download this document from the Agency's website and it has to be completed by a veterinarian licensed to practice veterinary medicine in Canada and then presented to an official government veterinarian to be endorsed. The examination for the certificate must be conducted within the two weeks prior to traveling to Costa Rica. The required vaccinations are: distemper, hepatitis, lestospirosis, parvovirus and rabies (for animals 3 months or older). Please download the form in the following link


9. How much is the departure tax?
Departure tax is US$26.00, can be paid in US Dollars, colones or with a credit card.


10. What documents does a minor needs to enter to Costa Rica?
A minor, foreign or costarican, traveling by himself (herself) to Costa Rica, must have a valid passport, as well as an authorization to leave the country of origin or residence from his/her parents and/or legal representative.

Contact us Costa Rican tourism toll free number Site map
Address: 350 Sparks  St. Suite 701 (Office Tower)
                  Ottawa, Ontario, K1R 7S8 

Phone Number: (613) 562-2855
Fax Number: (613) 562-2582
1-866-Costa Rica (267827422)
or 1-800-343-6332.

Powered by AppleWoodConsutling Website content Copyright © 2011 Embassy of Costa Rica in Canada